Plumbing Certificate of Compliance
So, what is the compliance certificate all about? Plumbing Certificates of Compliance are issued by licensed plumbers to certify that their plumbing work complies with all regulatory installation requirements.
According to The Plumbing Industry Registration Board (PIRB), the plumber will self-certify the work by issuing a plumbing certificate of compliance to the relevant owner, municipality, local authority, or insurance company. The plumber takes ownership of the work and is held accountable should there be any issues.
It is also good time to mention that the South Africa Building Regulations stipulate the following:
SANS 10400 A18 CONTROL OF PLUMBERS AND PLUMBING WORK
- No person shall perform the trade of plumbing as contemplated in Government Notice No. R1875 of 31 August 1979 unless he is a trained plumber or works under the adequate control of a trained plumber or approved competent person.
- Where any person who is not a trained plumber has been practising the trade of plumbing and was required in terms of any local authority by-law to register with it before so practising in its area of jurisdiction, he may, If he is so registered, continue to practise In such area or the area of any other local authority if such registration Is acceptable to such other local authority.
- No local authority shall, for the purposes these regulations, register any person to practise the trade of plumbing after the coming into operation of the Act.
- Any person not being a trained plumber or not being a person contemplated in sub regulation 2, who practices the trade of plumbing shall be guilty of an offence.
- Any trained plumber who causes or permits any person who is not a trained plumber or is not a person contemplated in sub regulation 2, to practise the trade of plumbing without adequately controlling the work done by such person, shall be guilty of an offence.
Simply put it is illegal for any person to work on a plumbing installation if not a qualified plumber or not working under the supervision of a qualified plumber.
Although there is a hassle factor to obtaining another certificate for your property this ensures that the work that is performed is of the correct standard and that there is recourse should the work be sub-standard. This protects both the owner and plumber!
When in doubt make sure you are using a registered plumber that can issue a PIRB certificate of compliance.
Please contact Supa Nova we are registered plumbers 011 485 1324
Supa Nova Blog
A collection of industry articles, suggestions and issues.